It was 3a.m in the morning. I had not slept at all that night. I felt time has come. I was holding my Sandstone button tight in my fist and thinking whether to wake my husband. I needed to be rushed to the hospital anytime now. Why holding a Sandstone button? If you have not had a chance to read my piece in last years edition, this was an important possession I had inherited from the man I have loved the most in my life. My Grandfather. He had left me when I had only learned to call him. And I have been waiting since , for him to return to me. I know it sounds a little crazy but I had not given up hope. I loved him too much to give up.
"You are leaking Honey, I will get some duct tape" jibbered my sleepy husband still snoring. "Duct Tape?!! Really? Get up. We need to call the Hospital " I shouted. He was still rubbing his eyes so I decided to call myself.
I explained the nurse that my water has broken and I think I should be admitted. Her reaction was quite normal after four false alarms. " You have an appointment in the afternoon with the Gynecologist anyway, why don't you just take some rest and go to your appointment. They can test and tell you if you are assuming correctly ", that is exactly what the nurse said. We waited till afternoon and the test came out positive. I was going to have a baby anytime soon. I was rushed to the hospital and asked to walk and move around as the contractions were not too strong. Apparently, my baby was ready to be born but my body was too lazy.
"Honey, how much longer is this going to take, I am dog tired", sighed my annoying husband,as if my pains were not enough. They decided to put me on some kind of medication that will induce pain. But hardly did they know , my body was already jump starting the process. The next hour felt like years and I was cursing every single soul around me in pain. There was just one nurse though. I never knew I could curse that good. "Oh! Get me chocolate chip ice cream on a hot caramel mocha", these were my last words before I could breathe no more and could feel myself shaking the bed wildly louder than my mixer grinder. I had progressed too fast they said and my body had entered a shock. I could feel a room full of doctors and nurses putting me on Oxygen and saline . "Baby's heart rate is falling" ,said someone.
I could not afford to loose him one more time. This is what played in my mind. I am not letting him ditch me this time. And I started pushing hard. The doctor warned me to wait till they tell me to. I did not listen to them. I just knew what to do. They were preparing me for a C section which needed a surgery room and none was available at the moment. I knew I had no time. The doctors took my fingerprint on a paper and explained I had signed my death sentence because there was no chance of my survival if I pushed in this condition.
I don't care. I uttered in my mind. This time either I live with him or I don't. I don't know how I was so sure it was a boy because we had not opted for knowing the gender of the child at our ultrasound. I could feel he was trying his best too. And then silence. I could hear or see no more. Just blackness. The box of buttons of all shapes and sizes. As he was showing me the one I adored. The Sandstone button. As I leaped over to catch it. He threw it away in a hole of light. I started crawling towards it with my tiny feet.
No I was not dead. But had snatched someone back from the light. "It's a boy!!" , my husband shouted. "Open your eyes honey, please , you can't leave me like that. I will do anything for you", I could feel his tears on my cheek. I gasped up, removed my oxygen mask and shouted , " For the last time I am telling you, get me my chocolate chip ice cream over hot caramel mocha!!" He grabbed me in one hand and our baby in another. " We made it", I whispered in my baby's ears as he giggled.
Strangely enough, since that night, the Sandstone button is nowhere to be found!! I remember taking it to the hospital but all I came back with was Audvik. My son. Audvik Chatterjee. A different name but the exact same face. My grandfather had returned. My mother was shocked to see the similarities. She finally believed me. I don't need the Sandstone button anymore. He is back.
No comments:
Post a Comment